Nice article on Malia.

---- Tate-Freitas would graduate with 3,366 points, No. 2 on the state’s all-time list. A 5-foot-8 athlete with all-around skills, she had plenty of offers: Pittsburgh, Northeastern, Albany and Hampton University among them.
“I can remember a coach saying to me, ‘Please don’t (visit) Hampton,” Jennifer said. “I’m thinking, ‘What?’ She was like, ‘If you go to Hampton, she’s going to pick Hampton.’ Anyone who knew Malia knew she wasn’t a big-city type of girl.”
The coach was right: Malia fell in love with HU. Interestingly enough, that’s Jennifer’s alma mater. But more on that later.
As a freshman, Malia averaged 18.1 points per game and was named the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference Rookie of the Year. As a sophomore, she was even better with 21.3 ppg, first in the MEAC and 14th in the nation. She scored 1,277 points in her first two seasons, more than any player in HU history (Dolberry included).
“And she’s doing that against Division I talent,” Six said. “We’ve never played a Division II school.”

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/ham...109-story.html